Re: Not RFS: febootstrap (ITP #530425)

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 04:17:13PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > This isn't (yet) a request for sponsorship.  Just hoping that someone
> > will take a look at this package to see how I've done.  It's been
> > quite a number of years since I did any Debian packaging, so I've
> > probably made any number of elementary mistakes.
>
> A quick review:

Thanks for looking at this ...

> I'd recommend licensing the Debian packaging under the same license as
> the upstream stuff.

OK, done.

> typo in one of the fakechroot patches: s/upstreak/upstream/

Fixed (in the upstream git repo).

> debian/docs lists a README file but one doesn't exist in the unpacked
> upstream source you pointed at.

It's there ...
http://www.annexia.org/tmp/debian/febootstrap/README
It seems like Apache mod_autoindex is 'helpfully' filtering out
certain files on my webserver.  Ho hum.

> Upstream doesn't appear to contain any source code that is compiled,
> are you sure you need the cross-build stuff? Same for the CFLAGS stuff
> and shlibs stuff.

?? No idea - this was just added by dh_make.  I chopped out the
cross-compilation stuff, CFLAGS, LIBS and shlibs anyhow.  Hope I
chopped out the right bits!

> Please remove all the comments from debian/rules, all of them look
> unnessecary.

Done.

> In debian/control, please s/upx/upx-nrv/

Right, done.

> Why the suggests on filelight and upx?

filelight is useful to find out which parts of the filesystem are
consuming too much space.  See for example:

http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/why-minimal-is-225-mb/
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/febootstrap-minimal-now-159-mb/

However filelight is a very large dependency (pulls in large
parts of KDE + X11) so it's only a suggestion.

UPX can be used for packing executables in the image, making the image
smaller.  However it's not used by default.

> Is README.Debian really nessecary?

I'd like people to file bugs against upstream.  Doesn't really help me
if they are filed in Debian, unless they are Debian-specific packaging
bugs.  What would you suggest instead?

I just uploaded a second release of this package.

Rich.