Re: Updated packge on m.d.n

Dear John,
John Stamp schrieb:
> On Friday 22 May 2009 11:12:36 am Kai Wasserbäch wrote:
>> an updated package of kde-plasmoid-yawp has been uploaded to
>> mentors.debian.net, the new dgetable URL is:
>> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/k/kde-plasmoid-yawp/kde-pl
>> asmoid-yawp_0.2.3-2.dsc
>
> I'm not a DD, but I have a few comments about the packaging...

your feedback is appreciated anyway. So thank you for your time.

> dpkg-shlibdeps_fix_spurious_dependencies.patch:
>
> Why not add pkg-kde-tools to your Build-Depends?  You can set
> DEB_KDE_LINK_WITH_AS_NEEDED, plus you'll be using the same cmake setup
> that all of the other KDE packages use.

Thanks for pointing this out, I only remembered some cdbs snippets in
pkg-kde-tools and therefore didn't consider having a closer look into it.
Dropped the patch, replaced by the proper variables from variables.mk

> licensecheck_incorrect_FSF_address.patch:
>
> I don't think we have the right to change upstream's copyright notice
> for them.  Send *them* the patch instead.  They're pretty responsive--or
> have been with the few patches that I sent.

I've already sent the patch to them and informed them of the ITP so they might
advocate the Debian package in due time (should it be accepted). But I don't
consider correcting a wrong postal address »changing the license«. I see it
merely as a convenience for interested people who want to write to the FSF for
further information. Even if I don't think most people care about the postal
address.
Patch kept.

> top_CMakeLists.txt_remove_FindPlasma_if-else-statement.patch:
>
> This patch seems to fix a problem that does not exist.  You probably
> don't even need to restrict to kdelibs5-dev (>= 4:4.2.0).  Or am I
> missing something?

I certainly see your point and have therefore removed the patch. The rationale
was to save time on the buildds (even though that is probably a very small
amount of time) for a check where I know the result already in advance.
The restriction is kept in place though: I don't think this Plasmoid works well
with KDE 3.5 and a version of the kdelibs5 was included in Lenny. So I consider
this a kind of warning to potential backporters (I have no idea whether that
will happen anyway, I doubt it, but maybe someone with some experience in this
field can give me a tip.)

> README.Debian:
>
> I'd remove it.  It just duplicates info found in the description.

I concur. It's a vestige of the original README.Debian file I'd written before
putting the package under VCS control. Even though I wonder why it lacked the
better part of the originally intended file. I must have imported some »ancient«
version. Thanks for pointing it out to me, I might have overlooked it for quite
some time. ;)

A modified package can be found in the SVN [0] and will soon be available as
0.2.3-3 as a source package from m.d.n but maybe I can get some more feedback
before that. :)

Kind regards,
Kai Wasserbäch

[0] svn://svn.carbon-project.org/deb-pkg/kde-plasmoid-yawp/trunk

--

Kai Wasserbäch (Kai Wasserbaech)

E-Mail: debian@carbon-project.org
Jabber (debianforum.de): Drizzt
GnuPG: 0xE1DE59D2      0600 96CE F3C8 E733 E5B6 1587 A309 D76C E1DE 59D2
(http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xE1DE59D2&fingerprint=on&hash=on&op=vindex)