Re: RFS: udav

Hi Paul and all

Ok, thanks again for your reply and your interest! (And sorry for this late
response, I was on holidays last week).

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:12:06PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Salvatore Bonaccorso
> <salvatore.bonaccorso@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I uploaded a new fixed version to mentors.debian.net
> > dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/u/udav/udav_0.5.1-1.dsc
>
> Some more things:
>
> Some of the images in help/pics/ contain this comment but there
> doesn't seem to be any source code for them nor any indication of how
> they were generated (other than using ghostscript).
>
> Image generated by GPL Ghostscript (device=pnmraw)
>
> While upstream's udav.png doesn't contain this comment, it does use
> transparency and what looks like a 3D effect, is there any source code
> for that?
>
> The file*.xpm and other icons look suspiciously like the icons from
> Windows 3.1 (or Win95, not sure).

I really can't say anything about that, but I "forwarded" these
questions to the upstream author, to hopefully be clarified in future.

> The icons stuff needs fixing, I suggest the following:
>
> udav.desktop Icon=udav
> udav.menu icon16x16=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/udav.xpm
> udav.menu icon32x32=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/udav.xpm
> install src/udav.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/udav.png
> install src/xpm/udav.xpm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/udav.xpm
> convert -scale 32x32 src/udav.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/udav.png
> convert -scale 32x32 src/udav.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/udav.xpm

I changed these as you suggested.

> desktop-file-validate complains:
>
> $ desktop-file-validate debian/*.desktop
> debian/udav.desktop: warning: value
> "Application;Education;Science;Math;" for key "Categories" in group
> "Desktop Entry" contains a deprecated value "Application"

Here I wasn't aware of this tool desktop-file-validate, thanks a lot.
When doing the desktop file I followed [1] but I think I mixed some
stuff ... it is now fixed.

 [1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

> The blank lines in the desktop file aren't needed.

Removed

> Be sure to send the .desktop file upstream.

Yes will do!

> There are some gcc warnings:
>
> qmglcanvas.cpp:187: warning: unused parameter 'mes'
> mgl_addon.cpp:53: warning: unused parameter 'lib'
> mgl_addon.cpp:53: warning: unused parameter 'func'

Upstream informed about that.

> And a dpkg-shlibs warning:
>
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libpthread.so.0 could be
> avoided if "debian/udav/usr/bin/udav" were not uselessly linked
> against it (they use none of its symbols).

Also noticed upstream.

> DH_VERBOSE is usually off and only turned on for debugging.

It is removed now from debian/rules and will switch it only on when
debugging.

> Sourceforge bug URLs can be reduced to this:
>
> http://sf.net/support/tracker.php?aid=1234

Thanks, also here didn't know that. It is fixed in the patch. (btw.
Alexey the upstream author already commited it and should be ok in the
next version of udav, also the problem with the .svn directories in
source tgz).

The new fixed version is uploaded to mentors.d.n:
dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/u/udav/udav_0.5.1-1.dsc

Bests
Salvatore