Re: RFS: arc-colors, gnome-colors, shiki-colors

On Wed, 6 May 2009 20:44:49 -0400 Andrew wrote:

> I have a more general question on debian/copyright. Obviously all of
> the above needs to be resolved, but upstream has mentioned in the past
> that they are simply interested in having a free license and are not
> tied to GPL-3. So I wonder if they were to relicense as GPL-2 if
> "Files: *" would then be acceptable as their original work and icons
> coming from gnome would both be GPL-2 and icons coming from tango are
> in the public domain, explicitly giving up copyright and including the
> following in the dedication:
>
>  | Dedicator recognizes that, once placed in the public domain, the Work
>  | may be freely reproduced, distributed, transmitted, used, modified,
>  | built upon, or otherwise exploited by anyone for any purpose, commercial
>  | or non-commercial, and in any way, including by methods that have not
>  | yet been invented or conceived.
>
> Does that imply they can be relicensed?

If everything would be in the Public Domain: yes, that would work as
far I can see (I'm not a licensing guru).
But it won't work with GPL-* as this does not drop the copyright, so
you have to mention the copyright holders by name.

--
Bruce Schneier Fact Number 384:
Bruce Schneier once beat an asymmetric cipher into symmetry.