Re: Questions about the changelog file

On Fr, 17 Apr 2009, Laurent Léonard wrote:
> Is there a standard or a recommendation for the content of the changelog
> file ?

Hmm, I guess it is up to you but it should be informative for
developers, and it should be clear.

Taking some examples:

> - Is it better to specify the modified file or not ? For example if I add a
> build dependency, should I specify I added it to debian/control ?

Well, every DD or DM knows that a build-dep is added to debian/control,
so I never write:
	debian/control: add build dependency on ...
But if you want to do so then it is fine, too.

I guess the point is that you have to find your own style so that *you*
know what you have done, and that others can at least deduce what you
have done with some common knowledge.

> - Is it better to specify the file concerned by the change at the beginning of
> the sentence before a ":" character ? Or included in the sentence ?

Again, either or. I normally do not include these things at all.

> - Is there an order for the changes (importance...) ?

Again up to you. I leave it normally the way I added it with dch during
development. But sometimes when merging some experimental intermediate
releases I regroup the entries ordered by importance.

> - Is it better to end the sentence by a final point or not ?

Hehe, that is a good questions (mind the missing full stop ;-)

> - Should I use for example:
> "Added ...", "Fixed ...", "Updated ..."
> or "Add ...", "Fix ...", "Update ..." ?

Again, find your own style. There is no technical pro or con for each of
that. I guess what you prefer is what you will use.

Best wishes

Norbert

DOCKERY (n.)
Facetious behaviour adopted by an accused man in the mistaken belief
that this will endear him to the judge.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff