Re: debian/copyright verbosity

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:36:24 +0900
Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:

> On the other hand, imagine a package that consists in a collection of files
> that were harvested by an upstream curator. For instance a collection of icons.
> In that case, if you have the time and the motivation, it can be nice to the
> authors to keep their contributions clearly separated.

Good point, thanks Charles. I'd forgotten about packages like that.
Most "program" upstreams tend to be a team in some loose meaning of the
term and can therefore have a "collective" element. Collated packages
are slightly different. However, even then, separate attribution is not
mandatory, just something that is nice to do if it isn't too much of a
burden on the maintainer. (Imagine a collated package with hundreds of
icons from a collection of "teams" - there isn't any point in
drilling down into the attribution within those teams.)

> Debian is currently seeking legal advice to decide how far the factorisation
> can go. In the meantime, I would suggest to browse packages.debian.org for
> packages of similar size and field, and take example from their copyright
> files. Since they were accepted in our main archive, they tell what is expected
> for new packages.

Absolutely.

--

Neil Williams