Re: debian/copyright verbosity

Le Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 05:24:51PM -0400, Matthias Julius a écrit :
> In the light of the recent discussion about debian/copyright on -devel
> I am wondering how verbose it actually needs to be.  Given the
> following files:
>
>  Files: foo.c
>  Copyright: 2006 Mr. X
>  License: GPL2+
>
>  Files: bar.c
>  Copyright: 2008 Mr. X
>  License: GPL2+
>
>  Files: baz.c
>  Copyright: 2005 Mr. Y
>  License: GPL2+

Dear Matthias,

I think that this example is a bit dry and that in real situations you will
find more informations to let your common sense guide you.

For instance, if it is files in a work where Mr. X and Mr. Y identify
themselves as upstream co-authors, it is probably fine to factorise.

On the other hand, imagine a package that consists in a collection of files
that were harvested by an upstream curator. For instance a collection of icons.
In that case, if you have the time and the motivation, it can be nice to the
authors to keep their contributions clearly separated.

Debian is currently seeking legal advice to decide how far the factorisation
can go. In the meantime, I would suggest to browse packages.debian.org for
packages of similar size and field, and take example from their copyright
files. Since they were accepted in our main archive, they tell what is expected
for new packages.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy