Re: RFS: fsprotect

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 07:21:22PM +0200, Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
> * Package name    : fsprotect
>   Version         : 1.0.0
>   Upstream Author : Stefanos Harhalakis <v13@v13.gr> (me)
> * URL             : http://www.v13.gr/ (not available yet)

Based on your e-mail address, I'm guessing that www.v13.gr isn't going to be
dedicated to fsprotect, so you should adjust this URL to point to the
fsprotect project.

> It builds these binary packages:
> fsprotect  - Helper scripts to make the filesystems immutable

s/the//.  Also, I'm not sure "immutable" is quite the right word here; I'm
having trouble coming up with a better short description, though.

Oh.  No.  It.  Ain't.

> This package ignores some lintian errors/warnings. I believe that all of them
> are justified:
>
> non-standard-toplevel-dir fsprotect/
> : This is required for fsprotect to work. This directory must exist in the
> root filesystem.

*A* directory must exist in the root filesystem.  I don't think a new
top-level directory is justified for this.  /lib would appear to be the
usual location for things of this nature.

> fsprotect: no-debconf-config
> : There is no need for debconf config file. It only needs to display a warning
> message/note. If this is not OK I'll remove the note completely.

That note is unnecessary.  README.Debian is the correct place for
information like this, which you've already provided.

> fsprotect: virtual-package-depends-without-real-package-depends
> : This package is never going to be a build dependency for other packages, so
> this should be OK.

Never say never... on the other hand, keeping your depends list up to date
with new kernel module versions isn't likely to be a whole lot of fun.

> init.d-script-does-not-implement-required-option /etc/init.d/fsprotect
> force-reload
> : It is imposible to provide a force-reload or restart option. Even the stop
> is a no-op.
>
> init.d-script-does-not-implement-required-option /etc/init.d/fsprotect restart
> : Same as above

If the stop option is a no-op along with force-reload and restart, why did
you implement stop and not the others?  Take a look at mountall.sh.

> p.s. Please CC me. I'm not subscribed to the list.

Mail-Followup-To is your friend.

- Matt