Re: Creating a debian package for a port, from a modified existing Debian package

Paul Wise schreef:

As I understand it, ReactOS is an operating system you can run Cygwin on.
Why would I include the kernel? I'd say users of ReactOS can fetch Cygwin or
Debian-kCygwin in the same way as Win32 users would. Right?

Without it you can't put Cygwin in main since it would depend on
non-free software.

I'm trying to see how ReactOS would change that. I mean - Compiling using PE does not actually link in non-free code, and dynamic libraries are loaded in during runtime, not load-time. If ReactOS is binary compatible, the DLL names should be the same. Is it just the idea of me doing the project on ReactOS that makes the Debian-Cygwin project "more free", or does it really make a difference on wether Cygwin depends on Windows specifically?

Bernd Zeimetz schreef:
> Paul Wise wrote:
>
>> Without it you can't put Cygwin in main since it would depend on
>> non-free software.
>>

> uhm nobody was talking about putting cygwin into the archive, if I
> understand it right.

Well in the end, it's a port, so once it's done (read: usable) it may move into the Debian archive. By then, there will be a seperate Debian package containing the Cygwin tools and dlls.

Sjors