Re: generating html documentation from LaTeX?

Hello Petr,

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 17:44, Petr Pudlak (Debian) <deb@pudlak.name> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the package I'm working on (eprover) contains LaTeX documentation that is
> already compiled into PDF in the upstream tarball. However, since Debian
> Policy states that the preferred format is HTML, I was thinking about
> generating documentation also in HTML. I found a nice program, tex4ht, which

You could have a look to this article[1] about LaTeX conversion to html.

[1] http://matrixhasu.altervista.org/index.php?view=latex_html

> seems to work quite well. I have a few question though:
>
> 1) First, is it a good idea at all to create HTML documentation this way, or
> is the PDF file enough? If yes then:

Yes, it's good: I used it in pyopenssl (if you need references).

> 2) The HTML page is quite large, ~300k, about the same size as the PDF.
> Should I put it into a separate package or not?

Evaluate if the whole doc dir needs to be in a different package: what
it's size compared to the rest of the package? if it's the same or
higher, then split out a -doc package, if not, leave in the binary
package as is not.

> 3) Should I state 'tex4ht' in build dependencies and rebuild the
> documentation in debian/rules, or should I create it in advance and include
> it as a diff/patch? (This might be a bit complicated as the generated
> documentation contains PNG images of formulas, which diff/patch tools don't
> like).

Generate that doc in debian/rules file, so it's generated at each
package build (but remember it's not needed to generate doc each time
if it's a arch:any package, just once it's fine, on your machine).

Regards,