Re: How handle Architecture when package is restricted/limited to only some archs?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> I got recently now also an answer from upstram author on this
> restricted support on only little endian architectures. It is:
> > yes, PowerPC port is currently broken. FreePascal has very bad support for
> > different endianity, mostly from the memory management point of view. I had
> > partial success some time ago on an old iBook G3 though, no plugins.
> >
> > FreePascal internally allocates memory from heap (most probably), but from
> > different memory area than malloc does. It also adds few bytes control
> > information and returns pointer with offset of few bytes, which obviously
> > cannot be used with standard libc allocator calls. I had no luck with FPC
> > cmem unit either which basically uses malloc, things went even worse.

That could very well be the case, but then there should be bugs filed
against free pascal (src:fpc) to fix these problems, and presumably
tuxcmd should do some rudimentary tests to see if it actually built a
working binary in the first place.

Finally, while having a buggy package on some architectures is
annoying, it's not really an excuse not to build it on those
architectures, *especially* when the bug isn't even in the package.
Architecture specific compiler bugs happen, and they should be fixed.

Don Armstrong

Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for
the people.
 -- Oscar Wilde