Re: Added requirement for translation of debconf templates

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:00:28 +0000
Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> wrote:

> As your own personal preference this is fine, but you appear to be
> presenting this as a decided Debian wide policy that will be applied to
> everything and for that I do feel that we need a more flexible policy
> to avoid overprioritising one specific aspect of package quality.

On what basis are you misreading my email as Debian-wide? The original
email clearly stated that I was changing my sponsoring requirements. Is
it just because I wrote about suggesting changes in lintian? Those are
being discussed on debian-i18n and the lintian maintainers - it's not
up to me but I thought it would be good to share a possible technique
that could improve lintian with regard to the certainty of the current
tests for incomplete translations.

Those requirements, as always, will be applied to all packages that I
sponsor and have no bearing on any kind of Policy except my own. There
was nothing in the original email that mentioned anything broader than
my own sponsoring requirements. Requirements that I publicise and use
in order to make it easier for maintainers to know what I require as
sponsor.

Where is everyone getting the impression that this has anything to do
with any sponsoring except my own? The original email is full of "I
require", "I expect". I don't have any say in what other sponsors do
(and would object to anyone trying to dictate how any sponsor does the
reviews). This is me, my own and I - nobody else. If other sponsors
want to incorporate some of my requirements that's fine but I think it
is best to publicise what I need so that I don't waste time explaining
again and again why I am ignoring a particular RFS.

I believe debconf translations should be done this way and I'll
implement that for packages that I maintain or sponsor - that's it,
there's nothing more to it, nobody has to change the way they sponsor
and I'm not about to tell other sponsors how to do their work. It's me,
just me and my sponsoring requirements. End of.

--

Neil Williams