Re: Closing bugs, incrementing release number, and uploads to mentors.debian.net

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:54:04 +-1100
> Ben Finney <ben+-debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>
> > Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > The maintainer doesn't have to worry about -v [for
> > > +IBg-dpkg-genchanges+IBk-] - the sponsor does that with the final build
> > > that actually gets uploaded to Debian.
> >
> > Ah okay. I've never had a sponsor do that; following your advice
> > with multiple releases between actually-gets-to-Debian releases,
> > I've only ever seen the latest changelog entry in the upload.
>
> Take a look at some of the ACCEPTED messages for emdebian-tools [+ICY-]
> The interim versions, with all their bug closure entries, then get
> merged into a single .changes file (preserved within the ACCEPTED
> messages in the PTS) that covers all changes since the last version
> in Debian. OK, sometimes I forget but then it's my fault and my
> problem.

Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping to get from my packages (and
thought it was my responsibility to do so; I wasn't fully aware that
the sponsor re-builds the package and uploads the result).

I was pointing out that, though I've followed the advice to increment
the release number when I release +IBQ- because I find that practice
sensible +IBQ- I've never had sponsored packages contain anything but the
single latest changelog entry appear in the changes file.

I presume that this means your requirement, that a new release from
the maintainer needs a new release number, is not widely followed or
even well known among sponsors.

Now that I better understand how that all happens, I will communicate
with sponsors explicitly about this for future package releases, and
find out how they want to proceed.

--
 +AFw-      +IBw-I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer |
  `+AFw-                        thinks he can get me five.+IB0- +IBQ-Steven Wright |