Re: Closing bugs, incrementing release number, and uploads to mentors.debian.net

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:59:15 +1100
Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I see a conflict in the workflow of bug fixing and packaging. I'd like
> to know that I'm wrong, or that I'm right but there is a way to get
> around it.
>
> As I understand it, the following facts hold:
>
> * When a bug is fixed in a new release, recommended practice is to put
>   a “Closes: bug#NNN” in the changelog at that specific release
>   entry.
>
> * When fixing bugs that prevented a previous release (e.g. one made to
>   mentors.debian.net) from making it into Debian (e.g. because the
>   sponsor requires further changes), recommended practice is to
>   increment the release number and make a new changelog entry, to
>   easily distinguish from any existing release.
>
> * When packages are created by ‘dpkg-buildpackage’, the ‘*_changes’
>   files by default contain only changes from the latest entry in the
>   changelog.

It is simple to pass the -v option to dpkg-buildpackage and then dpkg
includes all the changes since the specified -v into the .changes file
and the bugs get closed just fine.

--

Neil Williams