Re: Closing bugs, incrementing release number, and uploads to mentors.debian.net

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:06:20AM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2009-01-19, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > * When fixing bugs that prevented a previous release (e.g. one made to
> >   mentors.debian.net) from making it into Debian (e.g. because the
> >   sponsor requires further changes), recommended practice is to
> >   increment the release number and make a new changelog entry, to
> >   easily distinguish from any existing release.
>
> This is afaik only recommended if you want Neil Williams to sponsor you.
>
> If someone is working with me, this is absolutely *not* recommended.

I was just reading through this, and was thinking "I've never done that before,
nor have any of my sponsors asked me to do it either"

I've never actually seen this practice. For me, a version bump should only be
made for uploads that actually go into Debian.

If/when I'm working with anyone as a sponsor, and they do this, It'll be sent
back to them to change the version number to correspond with the debian release.
Mentors.debian.net is just a holding ground IMO.