Re: Provide version to virtual package.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Robert David
<robert.david.public@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I need to pack evolution and evolution-data-server with some extras
> patched. But didnt find a way how to do that best to be user friendly.

I would suggest to get those patches included in evolution upstream if
you have not already.

> The best for me is renaming the package evolution -> evolution-xyz and all the
> included libs etc (I need to keep it consistent so I will rename all the
> included packages). I use "Replaces:" "Provides:" "Conflicts:" but as I read
> virtual package doesnt recognize version, so it leads to dependency conflicts
> with some other packages using evolutin/libs. Is there a way to define virtual
> package version? I mean some packager way, not that anyone who want to install
> this package would need to install that in a different way than normal.
>
> Another way is to name that evolution_2.24.2-0xyz1.deb but then if I make an
> repo then there will be no easy way how to install or link that or isnt?

You can use apt-pinning to ensure that evolution from your repo is
always installed rather than evo from debian:

http://wiki.debian.org/AptPinning

> I though about things like creating metapackage evolution-xyz that installs
> those packages, but I havent found a neat guide for making metapackage like
> this.

Try the equivs package.

--
bye,