Re: Creating a deb package that would modify some config files

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:18:45 +0100
Francois Goudal <fg@satcom1.com> wrote:

> sources.list, and install my packages, and then have a fully working
> system. Basically, my project is designed to run with a read-only
> rootfs and have /tmp as a tmpfs, + /etc and /var mounted using a
> unionfs that would write to a tmpfs as well.

A meta-package - see debian-med or something more complicated like the
Emdebian machine:variant customisation protocol:
http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/machinevariants.html
and the balloon3-config package that relies on it:
http://buildd.emdebian.org/svn/browser/current/emdebian/trunk/machine/trunk/balloon3-config/trunk

> So I would like that when the user installs my package, then the
> /etc/fstab would be configured accordingly.

Unless the machines using this package are very carefully arranged
before hand, reconfiguring /etc/fstab can be difficult - you need to be
careful about all the existing partitions and any particular bind
mounts that may already exist.

That is why balloon3-config works - it is extremely targeted.

> Now my question is not about the feasibility of that.

It should be managed by debconf and be idempotent so that if someone
installs the package *by mistake*, they can recover the original system.

The balloon3-config package is different - that is installed and
configured during the installation process so that no configuration
needs to be done - the package simply drops a pre-defined fstab file
into /etc/ no matter what. It can only do this because the package is
*NOT* part of Debian and is extremely customised to one specific
machine type. In this way, the changes made by the package are fairly
permanent and even if the package is removed, the effects persist. This
is just one reason why the package is not going into Debian. ;-)

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends

http://www.emdebian.org/

--

Neil Williams