Re: RFS: furl

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:00:04 -0500
Weboide <weboide@codealpha.net> wrote:

> Thanks for replying this quick.
>
> I chose to package this because this was a RFP and it was a small and
> useful tool for getting HTTP headers, and doesn't use many libraries.
> I agree that some other programs do the same thing and surely more
> than that.
>
> What do you suggest? Should I stop working on it?

Umm, yes?

> Note:
> I've got a question. This is not a complaint at all, I try to
> understand the process:
> Do we (= new package maintainers) have to check RFPs and see if
> they're really useful?

Yes - absolutely. It's one of the main tasks of the maintainer to
ensure that the package is worth maintaining.

RFP is not a blind queue - packages have to earn their place in
Debian, we don't add packages of no worth just because someone asked
some time in the past.

> What if not? They stay open till someone else
> tries to package it and gets rejected?

If there is no good reason to turn an RFP into an ITP and thence into
an upload, there is no reason to leave the RFP open.

--

Neil Williams