Re: RFS: ganttpv

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 05:12:38PM -0700, Brian C. Christensen wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "ganttpv".
>
> * Package name    : ganttpv
>   Version         : 0.11a-1
>   Upstream Author : Brian C. Christensen
> * URL             : http://www.pureviolet.net/ganttpv/
> * License         : GPL version 2
>   Section         : office

IANADD and can't upload for you, but some review:

debian/changelog: two problems - set your real name, not 'user', and
replace #nnnn with the bug number of your ITP. Take out the boilerplate
text between '<>'.
This appears to be a debian-native package (is it?) because the debian
directory is included in the upstream source, so you should drop the
debian revision from your version number to just leave ganttpv-0.11a (no
-1).
'office' is not a valid section, you will be targetting sid so choose a
section from the list at [1].

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/

debian/control: you should be working to standards verion 3.8.0, and all
that it entails. See
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.
Remove the 1 extra space at the beginning of each line of the long
description.

debian/copyright: you need to specify your name and a valid URL to
download the original source from.
Remove the boilerplate text that is there to tell you what you should be
putting in.

debian/docs: if you don't intend to put anything in this, remove it.

debian/rules: take out the sample cruft and commented out line to make
it easier to read. You can move probably most of your install rules into
debian/dirs and debian/ganttpv.install, see dh_install's man page for
more information. The readme and documentation stuff can happen in
debian/docs instead, and then your rules file is much neater and
simpler. In fact, you could simplify it even further using debhelper
version 7 [2].

[2] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/man1/dh.html

There is no manual page for usr/bin/ganttpv, write one and include it.

Remove in upstream the .DS_STORE. rubbish that has been left over by OSX.

Lintian returns many warnings and an error about some of the upstream
source. Review these and correct them.

What's the difference between ganttpv and pureviolet in some of the
installation paths? Unless there's a good reason you should probably
merge them, it will help users find the right documentation for example
when they go looking for it. I suggest you just install to
usr/share/doc/ganttpv and usr/share/ganttpv respectively. Your
_how_to_build files etc and your readme.txt should be usr/share/doc/*, not
usr/share/pureviolet/ganttpv.

You _really_ _really_ shouldn't be installing files like 'debian mentor
login and password' and 'good build ready to go'.

Have a look at fixing these and upload again to mentors.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

PGP/GPG: 0xDB800B52 / 4216 F01F DCA9 21AC F3D3  A903 CA6B EA3E DB80 0B52
Sending of encrypted mail is encouraged