Re: Listing dependencies with specific versions

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> (09/12/2008):
> > Looks like you just found an RC bug in libflac++6 - includes new
> > symbols in version 1.2.1-1 according to mole but the shlibs does not
> > depend on that version:
>
> That is not a bug - the package building against it merely has to
> require that version.

That is.

> The bug only arises if symbols are removed or function prototypes are
> changed in existing symbols.

Wrong.

> > Please file a bug about this.
>
> Please don't - it is not a bug.

Please do.

> If it was, we'd be on libglib.so.7787.0.0 by now.

You *do* understand the concept of SONAME and shlibs, right? You *do*
understand that those are different things, right? Given some RC bugs
against some of your packages, I start doubting it. Too bad you're being
so vocal on this list, and so self-confident.

> > Hopefully more libraries will adopt the new dpkg symbols stuff so
> > that this can be detected and fixed more often.
>
> The fix is only necessary if the symbol has CHANGED - added symbols
> can be managed perfectly well without a SONAME bump.

Again, wrong.

Mraw,
KiBi.