Re: Perl testing (prove) dependencies

Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> writes:

> Now, since confget already depends on debhelper which obviously pulls in
> most of Perl, may I just make use of that, or should I add an explicit
> build dependency on "perl | libtest-harness-perl", just in case the build
> mechanism changes at some point in the future?

It's always a good idea to add an explicit dependency for anything that
you use, even if it's pulled in by some other dependency, unless the
*definition* of that other dependency is that it will always pull in what
you're looking for.  Since providing Perl isn't a function of debhelper,
you should depend on it explicitly if you use it.

This isn't just in case the build system changes.  It's also
documentation.  It's useful to humans to have complete build dependencies,
even if a computer doesn't care.

perl | libtest-harness-perl probably isn't necessary, though.  Just
listing perl is fine, unless you are trying to support backports to a
verison of the perl package before Test::Harness was added to core.