building package with different libs

Hi,

I need some advice on building packages with different libs.
Assuming that I have software S which needs to be linked against library L.
For whatever reason there are several implementations (L1, L2, L3) of this library available. Each of them has its advantages and it would be fine
to build three packages SL1, SL2 and SL3.
Unfortunately L1, L2 and L3 conflict each other. So what would be the best way to build all three packages from one source package? Is this possible at all?

To make this a bit more realistic: It is about package meep-mpi.
Currently it uses libhdf5-serial and there is a requet to build it with
libhdf5-mpich and libhdf5-openmpi. So my Build-Depends: in the source section
needs to contain either libhdf5-serial-dev, libhdf5-mpich-dev or
libhdf5-openmpi-dev. Is it still possible to build package meep-mpi-hdf5serial,
meep-mpi-hdf5mpich and meep-mpi-hdf5openmpi at the same time?

Best regards
Thorsten

PS. I am aware that it should be better meep-mpi-hdf5mpich and
 meep-openmpi-hdf5openmpi, but this is another issue...