Re: Debian packages containing large files

Hello Sammy,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 19:52, Sammy Yu <temijun@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Basile,
>   Ah okay let me clarify.  This package is not for public consumption
> and would not be part of debian distribution.  I'm skimming a subset
> (percentage based) of our live production database which goes through
> some process which generates a debian package in the end.   The debian
> package is then installed in several different test machines.  This
> process could happen daily so it doesn't make sense for the test
> machines to be filling their local mysql install with the large
> mysqldump which takes 6-7 hours.  I recently raised the percentage and
> noticed that the debian packages will no longer install.  I'm mainly
> looking for help in explaining why a large file in a debian package
> would cause the install process to fail.  Thanks!

(Let's try to move the problem back where it belongs) did you consider
mysql replication capabilities[1]? The configuration could be a single
master server and many slaves (the tests server), so that the
canonical information is stored in the current production database and
the local copies are updated using mysql functionalities.

Kindly,
Sandro

[1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replication.html