Requests for sponsors to upload NMUs

I've been busy with other things elsewhere but some recent uploads from
mentors are confusing me and potentially giving the wrong impression to
those whom we mentor and sponsor, IMHO.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/03/msg00002.html

> I hope to see you all there fixing bugs and want to remind you that
> there is still a 0-day NMU (Non-Maintainer Upload) policy active: RC
> (Release Critical) bugs and Release Goal bugs that are at least 7 days
> old without maintainer reaction can be NMUed without delay. Please do
> test your patches, only fix bugs that are already filed to the BTS (Bug
> Tracking System) when you NMU, send your NMU patch to the BTS and be
> nice to the maintainer of the package you NMU.

Note:
"only fix bugs that are already filed to the BTS"

The rest of the normal NMU rules still apply:

http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-nmu

e.g.

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 12:34 -0500, Kevin Coyner wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 12:46:15AM -0500, Barry deFreese wrote......
>
> > Here is another one of my fairly intrusive NMUs.  It fixes RC bug:
> > #466143 as well as standards and lintian cleanup.
> >
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/rcalc/rcalc_0.5.0-1.3.dsc

> Barry
>
> Looks good except for two things:
>
>     1. Lots of unneeded whitespace in debian/copyright. Could be
>     removed and also removal of comment-out lines in debian/rules.
>
>     2. Perhaps it would be better to have all of the source code
>     changes done through dpatch or quilt. I know this is an NMU and
>     being unobtrusive is important, but there are quite a few
>     upstream source code changes which I think would be better off
>     in a patch system.
>
> I'd be willing to upload once these are addressed.

So why are we doing this now? This is an NMU - minimal changes scenario.

Barry is not the maintainer for this NMU, why are the rules being
ignored on mentors?

--

Neil Williams