Re: Listing dependencies with specific versions

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 20:17:02 +0100
Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:

> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> (09/12/2008):
>
> *shrug*. Knowing the Debian Policy would help compensate that bias.

I think you've missed my point - the change is done anyway, it's just
done as part of an upstream process not as a separate task. I
considered "adding a symbol" as a single task, you (and others) see it
as two and I can now see why that happens. It does not mean that the
task itself was not being done or that I was unaware of the
requirements. I was merely unaware of the division - I saw the entire
thing as one, that is all. I didn't recognise that what was being
described as "shlib bump" was something I was already doing.

> Not to mention that you aren't advising upstreams here, but Debian
> packagers, so I'd even expect good knowledge of the Policy.

I was not and am not unaware of Policy - just that something that I
took for granted was actually not being done in other packages.

> > I use symbols instead now and that is a far better system - easier
> > to manage upstream too.
>
> Still, knowing the basics...

Not true.

> > [Various stats, etc.] I don't think a genuine mistake is grounds to
> > disrespect my contribution.
>
> As I already stated, what I hate is your repeating you're right
> (“Cyril, we've had this discussion before” etc.) when you're being
> clueless.

Making a simple mistake, I apologise for that.

> > Umm, adding symbols properly does not require a SONAME bump - you've
> > said so yourself. The confusion is what is meant by "properly" - I
> > considered "properly" as including the shlibs (or preferably
> > symbols) support, not as a separate task. Dumping new symbols into
> > the library without any packaging support is not a good idea, I've
> > never doubted that. (Just didn't expect others to be neglecting it).
>
> So you claim you're doing your job right (note that I'm not
> questioning that), by playing with symbols while you didn't know
> anything about shlibs (read it as “confusing them with SONAME”)
> before some minutes ago? Impressive.

I know about shlibs, I just didn't identify that for what I thought was
one complete step, some packages had only part of the implementation.

Anyway, can we move on now?

--

Neil Williams