Re: Listing dependencies with specific versions

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:14:05 +0100
Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:

> > The bug only arises if symbols are removed or function prototypes
> > are changed in existing symbols.
>
> Wrong.

You're talking about the shlib, as explained in my other message, I was
inadvertently folding the two into one. My mistake.

> You *do* understand the concept of SONAME and shlibs, right?

Yes, but adding symbols "properly" includes the shlib change and I
wasn't thinking of it as a separate step, just a routine part of adding
a symbol. Upstream bias.

I use symbols instead now and that is a far better system - easier to
manage upstream too.

> You *do*
> understand that those are different things, right? Given some RC bugs
> against some of your packages, I start doubting it. Too bad you're
> being so vocal on this list, and so self-confident.

I've apologised for the confusion, I don't mind owning up to errors and
misconceptions.

The RC bugs in question are not against my own packages, I was merely
reviewing the existing bugs to try and get Lenny released.

I have no open RC bugs against any of my own 61 packages (and haven't
for several months) and none against my sponsored packages either. Since
the freeze started, I've made numerous RC fix NMU's, contributed to
fixes for many others. If more DD's had been as active, Lenny could
well have been released on time (or certainly by now). I don't think a
genuine mistake is grounds to disrespect my contribution.

> > > Hopefully more libraries will adopt the new dpkg symbols stuff so
> > > that this can be detected and fixed more often.

Definitely - a possible release goal for Squeeze that one. After all,
mole has the basic files available already.

> > The fix is only necessary if the symbol has CHANGED - added symbols
> > can be managed perfectly well without a SONAME bump.
>
> Again, wrong.

Umm, adding symbols properly does not require a SONAME bump - you've
said so yourself. The confusion is what is meant by "properly" - I
considered "properly" as including the shlibs (or preferably symbols)
support, not as a separate task. Dumping new symbols into the library
without any packaging support is not a good idea, I've never doubted
that. (Just didn't expect others to be neglecting it).

Adding symbols means modifying the symbols file - or at least adding
symbols "properly" means that. Modifying the symbols file (the much
improved replacement of shlibs) should be part and parcel of the one
task of adding a new symbol to the library and is much easier to manage
upstream.

Adding symbols support to Debian libraries means that this problem
becomes much, much more obvious and far, far easier to fix. I think it
would be a valuable goal for Squeeze to get symbols support in all
libraries in testing.

--

Neil Williams