Re: GPG Keys

* Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. [Mon, 10 Nov 2008 03:14:53 -0600]:

> I have two GPG keys, one for my laptop and one for my desktop.  I've probably
> got a third for my VPS, but I don't thinkn that's on the public keyservers
> yet and I only use it so my local apt repository is signed.  But, I digress.

> mentors.d.n seems to want a single GPG key.  I imagine that becoming a DD
> would probably entail reducing my keys down to one (1) as well.
> Unfortunately, I haven't found a good method for accessing a single private
> key from the multiple computers I work in front of regularly.

> Any suggestions on the best way to do that?  In particular I've considered a
> USB key, but I'd like it to be automatically mounted in a consistent location
> so my always-running-when-I'm-there gnupg-agent (and kgpg) can find it.

One option is to copy the .gnupg directory around, as Sandro mentioned
(but only to secure systems; a VPS does not qualify).

Another option is to use subkeys (http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/subkeys). This
way you only have one main key, but portions of it live in different
computers. Signatures made with the subparts (subkeys) are equally valid
than if they'd be done with the main key.

It is true that AFAIK you won't be able to put more than key in the
Debian keyring, should you become a DD or a DM.

HTH,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                            Listening to: Johnny Cash - We'll Meet Again