Re: Advice for Adopting Valknut

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:40, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:
> I figured the first step would be to upload a new version to mentors.d.n,

Ehm, the first step is to read the fundamental documentation: Debian
policy, developers reference, new maintainer guide.

You mat have already read those, but better be sure there sorry :)

> closing some of the open bugs along the way.  However, development has moved
> forward since the last time Valknut was packaged, so I was considering moving
> the Debian package up to the most recent release.

It's usually better to follow upstream releases.

> Unfortunately, the new project page ( http://wxdcgui.sourceforge.net/ ) is a
> bit ambiguous about what version would be best to package.  0.3.13 is cited
> as "old but stable" and is the current version packaged for Debian.  0.3.21
> is available as a tarball and hasn't seen bugs in almost two months and a
> 0.3.22 pre-release is also available.
>
> The 0.4.x line appears to be a parallel release, perhaps the version reported
> by the Qt 4 version.  I'll contact the upstream maintainer about that.

You might want to upload 0.3.x series to unstable and 0.4.x to experimental.

> My thinking is that I should go ahead and package 0.3.21 for Debian,
> forward-porting any Debian-specific patches and get it sponsored.  Since
> Lenny is in freeze, it will simply stay in Sid.  Lenny can go stable with
> the "old but stable" 0.3.13 unless something changes and a version bump is
> needed.
>
> The other option would be to simply fix some bugs in 0.3.13 and bump the
> Debian version for my first upload, but I'd hate to waste effort fixing bugs
> that upstream may (I think probably) have fixed already.

It depends if you want to see those bugs fixed for the lenny package:
if so, upload a new Debian revision with the bugs fixed and ask
release managers to unblock your package; it not, then simply package
the next upstream release and upload to unstable.

Kindly,