RFS: fex

Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "fex".

* Package name    : fex
  Version         : 20081006-1
  Upstream Author : Ulli Horlacher <framstag@rus.uni-stuttgart.de>
* URL             : http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/
* License         : GPL
  Section         : web

It builds these binary packages:
fex        - web based service to send very big files
fex-utils  - web based service to send very big files (utils)

The upload would fix these bugs: 495973

F*EX (Frams' Fast File EXchange) is a service to send big (large, huge, giant,
...) files from a user A to a user B, anywhere on the internet.

The sender uploads the file to the F*EX-server and the recipient automatically
gets a notification e-mail with a download-URL.

Main features of F*EX

  * file transfer of virtually unlimited file size
  * recepient and sender only need an e-mail program and a web browser - of any
    kind, they do not have to install any software
  * RESEND and REGET for resuming after link failures at last sent byte
  * auto-notification of recipient
  * auto-deletion after download
  * auto-deletion after expiration date (default: 5 days)
  * full-users can create sub-users, who can send only to this full-user
  * maintenance-free: no admin interaction necessary besides creating new F*EX
    accounts
  * Sending to multiple recipients needs storage on the server only once
  * F*EX is a HTTP web-service and needs no firewall-tunnels
  * support for streams, too (SEX : Stream EXchange)
  * for real UNIX users, there are the shell programs fexsend and fexget to
    avoid annoying web browser usage
  * protocol and source-code free available (GPL)

The end user normally uses F*EX with his web browser and the URLs
http://YOURFEXSERVER/fup (file upload) and http://YOURFEXSERVER/fop (file
download).

F*EX is not an anonymous service, the admin must register the user with
his e-mail address and auth-ID string. This task must be done with the CLI
program "fac" (F*EX admin control). You can imagine the auth-ID as some kind
of low security password.

Alternatively the users can register theirselves with http://YOURFEXSERVER/fur
(F*EX user registration), if the admin allows them to do so. This is done by
setting the variable @local_hosts in /etc/fex/fex.ph, for example:
        @local_hosts = qw(127.0.0.1 10.10.100.0-10.10.255.255);

F*EX full users can theirselves register "sub-users" with
http://YOURFEXSERVER/fuc
sub-users can only fex to their full-user, not to any others.

- Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/fex/fex_20081006-1.dsc

Kind regards