Re: [OT] Re: how to install package using apt-get in folder other than /usr

Le Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:15:55PM +0100, Neil Williams a écrit :
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > Installing Debian packages without administrator privileges and without
> > messing with other users works.
>
> chroot
>
> That is very close to the definitive purpose of using a chroot.

Hi Neil,

the idea looks intersting, but in the end the consequence is that the
administrators have to learn one more tool, that looks very complex,
whereas one of the goals of letting the user installing packages in his
home directory is to not bother the admins. Also, as giving schroot
access means giving opportunity to get root priviledges, it is something
that definitely sounds scary even in trusted environments.

I am more looking for something that looks simple like zeroinstall.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,