[OT] Re: how to install package using apt-get in folder other than /usr

Le Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 03:49:01PM +0100, Neil Williams a écrit :

> > and that if foobar depends on bazbaz, then with an appropriate apt-get
> > command, bazbaz can be installed in the same prefix.
>
> For what purpose?

Installing Debian packages without administrator privileges and without
messing with other users works.

Where I work, the calculation machines have a standard system installed
(CentOS...), and the way to update and install software is either to
request to the (busy) admins to install an (obsolete) CentOS RPM binary
package, or to download the upstream tarball and compile everything in
our home directory. Actually, for upgrading a program for which one is
not the only user this is the only way to go because global update may
expose the work of the other users to new bugs.

I admit I never asked for a chroot, but can we use chroots without
administrator privileges ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy