Re: how to install package using apt-get in folder other than /usr

Le Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 02:46:00PM +0100, Neil Williams a écrit :
> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 06:36 -0700, Kruti wrote:
> > i mean when you do apt-get install <package>, all the files of the package
> > are installed in /usr.for eg:  packge binary in /usr/bin.
> > but if i want the package n all its files to be installed in a directory
> > other than /usr for eg in XYZ directory thn what should i do...thnks
>
> The package determines the directories, it is not up to you to change it
> unless it is your package (and changes must be compliant with Policy) -

Hi Neil,

I guess that Kruti meant that if a foobar package has the following
files:

/usr/bin/foobar
/usr/share/man/man1/foobar.1
/etc/foobarrc
(...)

he would like to install it the files in

prefix/bin/foobar
prefix/share/man/man1/foobar.1
prefix/etc/foobarrc (or even $Prefix/.config/foobarrc)
(...)

and that if foobar depends on bazbaz, then with an appropriate apt-get
command, bazbaz can be installed in the same prefix.

While I would also love to have this feature in Debian, it is indeed
offtopic on this list and should better be a wishlist bug of apt-get,
aptitude, or any other frontend to dpkg.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan