Re: GPL v1 files

Noel David Torres Taño <envite@rolamasao.org> writes:

> El Monday 25 August 2008 04:35:10 Ben Finney escribió:
> > This hinges on the exact text of the grant of license. Please show
> > it here so we can examine what it says.
>
> There is nothing like that. There is only a declaration saying that
> the author "release this version under the GPL" and about other
> places says things like "It's also GPLed" or simply names a series
> of files and says "GPL".

By which I understand you to mean this declaration is in the
'debian/copyright' as written by the (past) maintainers of that
package, and not declared by the copyright holders.

> Just check the copyright file of wmaker-data, the package that I'm
> trying to improve/clean. That's what I'm talking about.

Currently (Debian wmaker-data 0.9~2) the 'debian/copyright' makes many
assertions without showing license grants from copyright holders.
Unfortunately the lack of a license grant from the copyright holder
leaves the copyright status of the work very vague.

In this situation, the package maintainer has the unenviable task of
retroactively acquiring explicit written license grants to these
specific works. This can be done for each work by either or both of
finding such a grant made by the copyright holder to that work in the
past, or by contacting the copyright holder to get such a grant from
them.

--
 \           “Are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “Well, I think so |
  `\      Brain, but what if we stick to the seat covers?” —_Pinky and |