Re: versioned Build-Depends on debhelper

Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org> writes:

> Well, while I wouldn't ask to remove a versioned build-dep, you could
> also argue with your reasoning that all build-dep should be versioned..
>
> I think a relatively safe requirement is to version if it needs more
> than the current stable (or perhaps oldstable) version.

I think of debhelper as a special case since it's so easy to know what
versioned dependency to use and it's possible to programmatically check
that you've got the right one (against the compat file).  For most other
cases, I would only version a dependency if I knew there was an oldstable
(or even just stable) version that didn't support what I needed, but with
debhelper it's just so easy to always version it for consistency.