Re: versioned Build-Depends on debhelper

Stanislav Maslovski <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> writes:

> My sponsor asked me to delete versioned build dependency on debhelper.

I think this is bad advice.

> I had it in the form "debhelper (>= 5)" and changed it to just
> "debhelper". I am wondering if this is right.
>
> In debian/compat I put "5".

It is considered best practice to always depend on the minimum version of
debhelper corresponding to the compat level that you're using.  It's not
strictly necessary to version the debhelper dependency if your compat
level is old enough that it's supported by any debhelper that a building
host is likely to be able to install (in practice, old enough that it's
supported in stable), but there's really no reason not to use the more
accurate and informative dependency.