Re: Lintian error

[Please respect the CoC[0] and avoid sending me copies of the message]
[0]http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct

Charliej wrote:
> Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> Charliej wrote:
>>
>>> With that said this is a quote from my upstream:
>>>
>>>  "Whee, is this something you could take care of at install, delete and
>>> then create a symlink.  Or would this still violate this policy"
>>>
>>> Would this be a viable solution?  (I told upstream I would ask)
>>>
>>> I don't think this is a viable solution because the lintian error would
>>> still remain.
>>>

>> You should symlink the file provided by the other package, if lintian
>> still complains it is a bug in lintian then.
>>

>>> I think one of the reasons he is hesitant is that the removal of
>>> "prototype" from the .tar.gz  that he hosts would severely impact his M$
>>> Windows users (he has a rather large M$ Windows community).  Actually I
>>> could care less about M$ Windows users, but he does.
>>>
>>> As I see it to comply with Policy 4.13 "prototype" will have to be
>>> removed from upstreams .tar.gz..  Am I correct in this assumption?
>>>

>> No, he doesn't need to remove his copy of prototype, it is _you_ who
>> needs to prevent it from being installed in the package you build.
>>

> This I can do, but to clarify your above statement does that mean that I
> remove it from the .orig.tar.gz or do I adjust the rules and or postinst
> to insure that it does not get installed?

The latter :)

> hmm I think I may have answered my own question.  Upstreams .tar.gz and
> the .orig.tar.gz must have the same md5sum correct?  if so then that

s/must/should, there are situations where one must repackage the tarball,
but I don't believe this is the case.

> means the rules and or postinst have to be modified.  Is my thinking
> here correct?

Besides what I just clarified, yes.

>>> This brings me to the next point what if upstream refuses to remove
>>> "prototype" from the .tar.gz?
>>>
>>> Thx
>>> Charlie
>>>

>> Cheers,

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.