Re: Lintian error

Charliej wrote:

> With that said this is a quote from my upstream:
>
>  "Whee, is this something you could take care of at install, delete and
> then create a symlink.  Or would this still violate this policy"
>
> Would this be a viable solution?  (I told upstream I would ask)
>
> I don't think this is a viable solution because the lintian error would
> still remain.

You should symlink the file provided by the other package, if lintian still
complains it is a bug in lintian then.

> I think one of the reasons he is hesitant is that the removal of
> "prototype" from the .tar.gz  that he hosts would severely impact his M$
> Windows users (he has a rather large M$ Windows community).  Actually I
> could care less about M$ Windows users, but he does.
>
> As I see it to comply with Policy 4.13 "prototype" will have to be
> removed from upstreams .tar.gz..  Am I correct in this assumption?

No, he doesn't need to remove his copy of prototype, it is _you_ who needs
to prevent it from being installed in the package you build.

> This brings me to the next point what if upstream refuses to remove
> "prototype" from the .tar.gz?
>
> Thx
> Charlie

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.