Re: Lintian error

Raphael Geissert wrote:
Charliej wrote:
With that said this is a quote from my upstream:

 "Whee, is this something you could take care of at install, delete and
then create a symlink.  Or would this still violate this policy"

Would this be a viable solution?  (I told upstream I would ask)

I don't think this is a viable solution because the lintian error would
still remain.

You should symlink the file provided by the other package, if lintian still
complains it is a bug in lintian then.

I think one of the reasons he is hesitant is that the removal of
"prototype" from the .tar.gz  that he hosts would severely impact his M$
Windows users (he has a rather large M$ Windows community).  Actually I
could care less about M$ Windows users, but he does.

As I see it to comply with Policy 4.13 "prototype" will have to be
removed from upstreams .tar.gz..  Am I correct in this assumption?

No, he doesn't need to remove his copy of prototype, it is _you_ who needs
to prevent it from being installed in the package you build.
This I can do, but to clarify your above statement does that mean that I remove it from the .orig.tar.gz or do I adjust the rules and or postinst to insure that it does not get installed?

hmm I think I may have answered my own question. Upstreams .tar.gz and the .orig.tar.gz must have the same md5sum correct? if so then that means the rules and or postinst have to be modified. Is my thinking here correct?
This brings me to the next point what if upstream refuses to remove
"prototype" from the .tar.gz?

Thx
Charlie

Cheers,