Re: versioned Build-Depends on debhelper

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:57:44PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 02:14:53PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Stanislav Maslovski <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> writes:
> > > My sponsor asked me to delete versioned build dependency on debhelper.
> >
> > I think this is bad advice.
>
> I agree. There are people building Debian packages on older releases,
> and having a package fail because a known versioned dependency had its
> version removed it a disservice to those people.

That was my concern also. However, Romain pointed out that Etch
(which will soon become oldstable) has debhelper of ver. > 5 so there
should not be problems with backporting to it.

> I might be missing arguments for removing the version, but I have only
> been a DD for like seven years.

Marc, Russ, thank you for your answers. Unfortunately, the package has been
already sponsored and uploaded to NEW. I think that at this stage this change
should be harmless. I will return the versioned dependency back when
preparing the next modification of the package.

--
Stanislav