Re: RFS: maxima (NMU)

At Sun, 27 Jul 2008 09:31:26 +0200,
Vincent Bernat wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; iso-8859-15 (quoted-printable)>]
> OoO  Pendant le  repas  du samedi  26  juillet 2008,  vers 19:36,  David
> Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> disait :
>
> > I have prepared an NMU changing the underlying lisp to SBCL. This is
> > semantically quite intrusive, but according to upstream SBCL is one of
> > the dialects of common lisp they test with.
>
> Maybe  you can fix  gcl instead?  I don't  know if  it is  considered as
> something  to do,  but  you could  depend  on gcc-4.2  and compile  with
> gcc-4.2. There are some packages  that are doing this (for example qemu,
> which compiles with gcc-3.4).

Hi Vincent;

It is true that fixing GCL would probably fix more packages than just
maxima.  On the other hand, GCL looks like it needs help upstream as
well as in debian, and has at least on RC bug not fixed by gcc-4.2.  I
think a package with an RC bug for 152 days needs a new
(co-)maintainer rather than an NMU.

Maybe Peter de Wachter would like to adopt GCL?  Unlike me, he seems
to have some grip on the internals of GCL :-).

All the best,

David