RFS: maxima (NMU)

Dear mentors,

Apparently due to problems with GCL, maxima currently either fails to
build (474909) or builds but fails its test suite (489871).

I have prepared an NMU changing the underlying lisp to SBCL. This is
semantically quite intrusive, but according to upstream SBCL is one of
the dialects of common lisp they test with.

If you want to get a handle on how intrusive the patch is in terms of lines changed,
you can have a look at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=474909#27

The resulting package is not perfect of course, but I think it is
better than what we have now (which, AFAIKT, is no maxima in lenny).
Two issues in particular:

    1)  The documentation index is read into lisp and the system redumped.  This makes the image
    about 1M bigger than required (OTOH, it is already 43M).
    2) there is now versioned dependency on SBCL, since the core format turns out to be
    unstable from release to release.

If you prefer, you can grab a copy of my packaging vcs:

   git clone alioth.debian.org:/git/debian-science/packages/maxima

The latter can be built with

    git-buildpackage --git-ignore-new

It builds these binary packages: maxima - A computer algebra system --
base system maxima-doc - A computer algebra system -- documentation
maxima-emacs - A computer algebra system -- emacs interface
maxima-share - A computer algebra system -- extra code maxima-src - A
computer algebra system -- source code maxima-test - A computer
algebra system -- test suite xmaxima - A computer algebra system -- x
interface

The upload would fix these bugs: 474909, 489871

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/m/maxima/maxima_5.13.0-3.2.dsc

Kind regards
 David Bremner