Re: dh_install not finding files from orig source

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> >    dh_install
> > cp: cannot stat `debian/tmp/cmavo.txt': No such file or directory
> > dh_install: command returned error code 256
> > make: *** [install] Error 1
> > dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
> > bzr: ERROR: The build failed.
> > =====
> >
> > Why is 'dh_install' looking for the file 'debian/tmp/cmavo.txt', when
> > that's not mentioned in the 'lojban-common.install' file?
>
>        From debhelper compatibility level 7 on, if --sourcedir is not
>        specified, dh_install will install files from debian/tmp if the
>        directory contains the files. Otherwise, it will install files from the
>        current directory.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that change.

However, that doesn't solve the mystery. If the above is an accurate
description of behaviour, 'dh_install' shouldn't be exiting with an
error if the file doesn't exist in 'debian/tmp'; it should only
attempt to install from there "if the directory contains the files".

Why, then, is it exiting with a "No such file or directory" error
trying to read the file from 'debian/tmp'?

Feel free (anyone!) to use the online source package
<URL:http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lojban-common/> to
try it for yourself and see if you can explain what's going wrong
better than I.

--
 \        "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. |
  `\            Unless there are three other people."  -- Orson Welles |