dh_install not finding files from orig source (was: Latest upstream versions of files)

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> There is no suggestion for the best way to make this happen, though.
> Ideally I'd like it to be a simple process for someone else to
> generate the upstream-source tarball automatically from the online
> files, and get the same result as when I do it.

My current progress on this is now online at
<URL:http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lojban-common>.

The 'debian/get-orig-source' program is working fine, creating an
archive tarball of the original upstream files, named correctly as
'lojban-common_1.5.orig.tar.gz'. This is now the command run by the
'get-orig-source' target in 'debian/rules'.

However, I'm not having any luck building the binary package. I'm
constructing, via the 'install' target in 'debian/rules', a
'debian/lojban-common.install' file:

=====
.PHONY: install
install: build
        cut -d ' ' -f 3 ${SHA1SUMS_FILE} \
                | sed -e 's_$$_\tusr/share/lojban_' \
                > debian/${PACKAGE_NAME}.install
        dh install
=====

This does indeed create the 'debian/lojban-common.install' file
correctly. But 'dh_install' doesn't seem to use it properly; it's
complaining about a file path that I don't understand.

=====
$ bzr-buildpackage --build-dir ../build-area/
Building using working tree
Preparing the build area: ../build-area/
Looking for ../tarballs/lojban-common_1.5.orig.tar.gz to use as upstream source
Exporting to ../build-area/lojban-common-1.5
Building the package in ../build-area/lojban-common-1.5, using dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -si
dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: source package lojban-common
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 1.5-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture powerpc
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh clean
   dh_testdir
   dh_auto_clean
   dh_clean
 dpkg-source -b lojban-common-1.5
dpkg-source: info: using source format `1.0'
dpkg-source: info: building lojban-common using existing lojban-common_1.5.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: building lojban-common in lojban-common_1.5-1.diff.gz
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file NORALUJV.txt
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file cmavo.txt
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file lujvo.txt
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file rafsi.txt
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file gismu.txt
dpkg-source: info: building lojban-common in lojban-common_1.5-1.dsc
 debian/rules build
make: Nothing to be done for `build'.
 fakeroot debian/rules binary
cut -d ' ' -f 3 debian/upstream.sha1sums \
                | sed -e 's_$_\tusr/share/lojban_' \
                > debian/lojban-common.install
dh install
   dh_testdir
   dh_auto_configure
   dh_auto_build
   dh_auto_test
   dh_testroot
   dh_prep
   dh_installdirs
   dh_auto_install
   dh_install
cp: cannot stat `debian/tmp/cmavo.txt': No such file or directory
dh_install: command returned error code 256
make: *** [install] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
bzr: ERROR: The build failed.
=====

Why is 'dh_install' looking for the file 'debian/tmp/cmavo.txt', when
that's not mentioned in the 'lojban-common.install' file?

I'd appreciate feedback from people downloading my source package and
finding where I've gone wrong.

--
 \      "For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier. I put |
  `\      them in the same room and let them fight it out."  -- Steven |