Re: RFS: gnu-standards (updated package. no longer non-free)

Hi Kibi,

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 05:41 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Before that, I'd like you to address the following points:
>  - Maybe the Homepage could move from https:// to http://?

Good spot, I didn't think http worked with Savannah.

>  - What about making doc-base files less “personal”? You don't really
>    need to point fingers at the reader and keep using “you” every
>    sentence. :) Not a high priority thing, but that'd be nice if it were
>    considered as some point.

Hehe, I've truncated the description of the maintainer's document - the
GNU Coding Standards one wasn't quite so bad, I think.

>  - You surely don't need debian/dirs.
>  - Nor an empty debian/docs, but see below.
>  - Why are you setting SHELL=/bin/bash instead of just not using
>    bashisms? You could e.g. put the whole file list in debian/docs
>    instead of using (double) {} constructs in the dh_installdocs call.
>  - You could get rid of commented calls in debian/rules as well.
>  - Your configure/configure-stamp targets aren't doing anything, why not
>    deleting them completly?

Yeah, mostly inherited from previous versions of the package - I've now
cleaned debian/rules up, and also removed the 'install' rule which was
looking a bit useless.

>  - You could finish the “refresh:” target with an “exit 1” so that you
>    easily spot that it's getting called (by mistake) during a real
>    build, because buildds aren't supposed to have net access during the
>    build.

Hmm, I've removed the refresh rule entirely - there's a description in
debian/copyright for creating the orig tarball. I could create a
get-orig-source rule later, but it would have to fetch from cvs.

>  - Did you notice the following? (from lintian)
>  E: gnu-standards: doc-base-file-references-missing-file gnu-maintainers-information:24 /usr/share/info/maintain.info.gz
>  E: gnu-standards: doc-base-file-references-missing-file gnu-maintainers-information:25 /usr/share/info/maintain.info.gz
>  E: gnu-standards: doc-base-file-references-missing-file gnu-coding-standards:24 /usr/share/info/standards.info.gz
>  E: gnu-standards: doc-base-file-references-missing-file gnu-coding-standards:25 /usr/share/info/standards.info.gz
>    After the build, I got: kibi@evy:/tmp/gnu-standards$ find -name '*.info'
>    ./standards.info
>    ./maintain.info

Oops, debian/gnu-standards.info got missed out of the git commit. The
package on mentors should have been okay, I hope.

>  - I had a very quick look at your git history, you may want to use “dch
>    -t” when modifying the history, so as to get rid of the (IMHO) noisy
>    trailer line change on every commit. That makes interactive rebase a
>    bit easier, as well as cherry-picking (although I'm not sure you will
>    ever need it on this particular package). Of course, if the timestamp
>    update is intended, feel free to keep doing so, that's just a mere
>    suggestion. (I'm BTW not using dch -t, but rather dch -a, or manual
>    modifications to debian/changelog, and only modifying the timestamp,
>    through dch -r, right before the upload.)

Cool, I'll look at that. Anything that makes changelogs and revision
control nicer is good.

>  - You're welcome to target “unstable” if your next upload to mentors
>    addresses the above points.

Okay, updated at:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gnu-standards/gnu-standards_2008.06.10-1.dsc

Thanks for all the review - I think I need it when I'm packaging at
2am. ;)

--
Tim Retout <tim@retout.co.uk>