Re: how to build two differently configured binaries from the same source?

Hi, Evgeni...

On Sonntag, 25. Mai 2008, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> I am preparing a package for Yabause[1] and wondering what will be the
> best practice for me.
>
> Yabause has two frontends, one Qt and one Gtk. I would like to ship
> both. Is there any recipe for debian/rules how to create two identical
> packages but with one configure option changed?

Each target in debian/rules gets called once and in order. So you have to
make sure that both binary packages get configured and compiled within the
same "target" in the Makefile. Last time I checked the "vim" source
package runs the compilation multiple times creating different binary
packages from the same souce tree. Although the maintainers are using
Makefile trickery that I would try to avoid because I find it barely
readable.

Anyway, you can build the binary package into debian/package-binary1 and
debian/package-binary2 and in the end build a package of each one.

According to the debhelper(7) manpage you can provide a "-P" parameter to
define the tmpdir (temporary directory) to build the final binary package.

> Additionally the question comes up: should yabause-gtk and yabause-qt
> conflict, at they both provide a yabause binary, or should I rename the
> binarys to be able to install both GUIs side by side?

The user probably doesn't want to use "yabause-gtk" to start the program.
So I think they should conflict. Or you just decide on either library to
build the package and are done.

Cheers
 Christoph
--
When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.