Re: Bug #480536 Mailbomb

On Sunday 25 May 2008, Aanjhan R wrote:
> Hi Neil!

Hi,

> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> > Debian has systems that alert the maintainer to new releases, so Ernesto
> > will have had a reminder already from DEHS. Not every upstream release
> > needs a "Package the new version" bug report.
>
> Why not if it contains couple of important bugfixes?

Here I disagree with Neil. While DEHS will detect it, having upstream visiting
Debian BTS and emphasizing on new features/bugfixes is a good thing!

> Well if you had thought hijacking the packaging, becoming a
> replacement maintainer was my aim, You are WRONG! I am one of upstream
> developers of this project and well I thought it makes things easier
> if I could help the maintainers by packaging the software also. My aim
> is not to do any of the above you have stated. My aim is just to
> enable all users of Debian to get the latest of software (atleast the
> ones, which I have had troubles with Debian having old software) and
> everybody enjoy using Debian and its based distros. Even becoming a
> Debian developer is next to the above statement for me.

Having upstream who helps improving Debian is also very cool, so if you find
it useful, you can co-maintain the package together with an official DD.

> > This has to be a new low for debian-mentors. Sigh.
>
> I am disappointed with such a remark from the debian "mentors" list
> and thanks for making me get better. I will remember not to upload the
> .orig to the Debian BTS ever. Thanks for that. Learning by Experience
> is always better :-)

Misunderstandings happen, so do not feel disappointed, you can still learn
something cool from Neil about debian packaging/sponsorship ;-)

http://people.debian.org/~codehelp/#sponsor

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB