Re: Bug #480536 Mailbomb

Hi Neil!

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> Debian has systems that alert the maintainer to new releases, so Ernesto
> will have had a reminder already from DEHS. Not every upstream release
> needs a "Package the new version" bug report.

Why not if it contains couple of important bugfixes?

> gnusim8085 is not your package. It is not up to you to prepare an upload
> of the package - you also did not need to attach the entire .orig.tar.gz
> to the bug report, there are ways for the maintainer to obtain the
> updated .orig.tar.gz without mailbombing the BTS.

I sincerely apologise for bombing the BTS. Will not happen again.

> You cannot. You have filed the bug, that is an end to it. You have sent
> a half-megabyte mailbomb to the maintainer (for which you should
> sincerely apologise in the bug report IMHO). You now have to wait for
> the maintainer to respond or give sufficient reason to request a hijack
> of the package. Your mistakes with the initial bug report would appear
> to disqualify you as a suitable replacement maintainer of the Debian
> package, IMHO, so a hijack is out of the question unless you can find
> someone who has a clue about Debian packaging.

Well if you had thought hijacking the packaging, becoming a
replacement maintainer was my aim, You are WRONG! I am one of upstream
developers of this project and well I thought it makes things easier
if I could help the maintainers by packaging the software also. My aim
is not to do any of the above you have stated. My aim is just to
enable all users of Debian to get the latest of software (atleast the
ones, which I have had troubles with Debian having old software) and
everybody enjoy using Debian and its based distros. Even becoming a
Debian developer is next to the above statement for me.

> This has to be a new low for debian-mentors. Sigh.

I am disappointed with such a remark from the debian "mentors" list
and thanks for making me get better. I will remember not to upload the
.orig to the Debian BTS ever. Thanks for that. Learning by Experience
is always better :-)

Cheers!
Aanjhan