Re: Bug #480536 Mailbomb

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 12:54 +0530, Aanjhan R wrote:
> Hello Mentors,

You appear to be using Hardy and filing to the Debian BTS - the version
reported in the BTS does not exist in Debian (fixed). Hardy has now been
released, I have no idea whether any new version will be available to
Hardy users (I have no desire to get into Ubuntu-ness). Perhaps you
should have filed this bug in Ubuntu and waited for someone else to file
a more tactful bug report in Debian.

> I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask this. I reported
> a bug http://bugs.debian.org/480536  related to a new upstream release
> package upgrade sometime back.

"sometime back"??? All of 15 days ago. Wow. Show some patience.

Debian has systems that alert the maintainer to new releases, so Ernesto
will have had a reminder already from DEHS. Not every upstream release
needs a "Package the new version" bug report.

>  I have also attached the diff and new
> orig to the bug report. It would be nice if some mentor, reviews the
> package and uploads the same.

gnusim8085 is not your package. It is not up to you to prepare an upload
of the package - you also did not need to attach the entire .orig.tar.gz
to the bug report, there are ways for the maintainer to obtain the
updated .orig.tar.gz without mailbombing the BTS.

One of the old orig.tar.gz tarballs is 568kb -
gnusim8085_1.2.89.orig.tar.gz	10-Aug-2004 13:17 	568K

What did you think you were doing sending a new and
complete .orig.tar.gz to a BUG REPORT???? Why did you think it was up to
you to prepare the new version in the first place?

Imagine that entire mess landing in your email inbox - no wonder the
maintainer hasn't responded to you, not everyone has multi-Mb/s internet
connections for their email. If you had used such a mailbomb technique
with a less friendly maintainer you would have had an extremely pointed
and robust response.

Please DO NOT send entire packages to the BTS!!! EVER. No excuses - you
have done it once by accident, please ensure you never make that mistake
again.

> If this is not the right place, please do let me know the place where
> I can get this done.

You cannot. You have filed the bug, that is an end to it. You have sent
a half-megabyte mailbomb to the maintainer (for which you should
sincerely apologise in the bug report IMHO). You now have to wait for
the maintainer to respond or give sufficient reason to request a hijack
of the package. Your mistakes with the initial bug report would appear
to disqualify you as a suitable replacement maintainer of the Debian
package, IMHO, so a hijack is out of the question unless you can find
someone who has a clue about Debian packaging.

This is a wishlist bug (you did get the severity right, it is no more
than a wishlist bug) and as such is not a high priority for fixing. I'd
expect Ernesto to prepare a suitable package (probably without the need
to download the .diff.gz or .orig.tar.gz from the BTS) when he has the
time.

This has to be a new low for debian-mentors. Sigh.

--

Neil Williams