Re: Developer names within debian/changelog

Hi,

Le 13 mai 08 à 13:24, Ben Finney a écrit :

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

I don't know if it's worth being more formal here in Policy or not.
It might be more of a devref thing.

I'm less interested in strictness in Policy than I am in finding out
how this is *specified* for all consumers, rather than merely
*implemented* in specific programs.

It's merely allowed by the specification as Russ mentioned it. There's no reason to specify it further, unless you're trying to parse the changelog entries and want to detect these names.

Visually, you just need to check that at least two spaces precede whatever tag you want to put as a heading for part of the changelog entry.

Note that the emacs mode debian-changelog (from the dpkg-dev-el package) generates this "format" automatically IIRC. If you use emacs to edit your changelogs, just stick with the format it produces.

Life is too short to go chasing down the difference between "that's
the way it's specified so all consumers of the format can expect it",
versus "that's the way it's implemented and who knows whether other
implementations might be just as acceptable".

If the answer is "there is no specification", than what on earth
should a programmer looking to consume this format actually expect to
consume?

Two spaces, followed by whatever you want. Copy the format from someone else if you want your entry to look like theirs, but you don't have to.

Best regards, Thibaut.