Re: Developer names within debian/changelog

Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> writes:

> On Monday 12 May 2008 06:17, Ben Finney wrote:
> > The Policy section above is silent on this extension to the
> > format, though I've seen Joey Hess discussing it in the past. I
> > also know that 'debchange' can produce it, and 'dpkg' can consume
> > it.
>
> Indeed debchange generates the format. I'm not sure what you mean
> that dpkg can consume it.

Sorry, I was unclear; I meant the 'dpkg-source' program (from the
'dpkg' package).

> I know of no special meaning that dpkg assigns to those names, as
> far as I know it just treats them like any other changelog line.

Yet they don't conform to the policy specification, so I'm wondering
what specification was followed when implementing consumers of the
format.

> If there's any specification to it, I think it's best found in
> debchange's source code.

That tells me *one* possible valid format, but doesn't tell me whether
something different generated otherwise is also valid or not.

A better way might be to look at the 'dpkg-source' source code. I did
that, though, and my eyes started to cross from all the regexes :-(

--
 \          “It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.” |
  `\                                   —Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire |